We were reading summaries, and this one caught our eye. It was a quick pick for movie night. The movie is listed on the internet as Gappa: The Triphibian Monster, but it was on Tubi as Monster From a Prehistoric Planet. Apparently, the movie was released in Japan as Giant Beast Gappa, so I have no idea where the Triphibian title came from.
A group of scientists and reporters head to an island in the South Pacific to gather exotic plants, animals and native dancers. Instead, they find a lost civilization (that amazingly speaks their language) and an egg. While they're in the cave, the egg hatches, gross stuff comes out, and they end up capturing a lizard.
The financial backer for the trip was a man (basically John Hammond from Jurassic Park) who publishes Playmate Magazine, and he wants to build Playmate Land. This one isn't full of scantily clad women, though. The expedition brings back the little guy, but his parents have awoken, and they want revenge!
First off, I'm going to say that I had fun with this movie. I wanted to clear that up since I'm going to be pointing out some things that were pretty bad.
The big thing that was irritating was how dark the movie was. I've seen movies that were dark, but I think this one was the worst. There were times when I had no clue what was happening. Next up is the music. Wow, it was terrible. The worst had to be when they were in the bar (?) with the singing women. We were glad the monsters took that place out. Last up is the length of the destruction scenes. I'm always up for a good miniature destruction, but these went on forever. At one point, there were so many planes getting shot down, I was actually losing interest.
The end was great. Reuniting the family was so weird to watch, and then listening to the woman talk about how she wants to quit her job so she can cook and wash diapers was pretty cringey. I am left with questions. Like why did they call it Monster From a Prehistoric Planet when it's clearly from Earth? Also, why did the monsters have chicken beaks? And why was that one kid green!? (That was a lighting thing, but he still looked green.) I'm giving this one a Good Movie! review. The voice actors added to the mirth, and there's just too many amazing things going on.

No comments:
Post a Comment