What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, August 23, 2026

From Hell It Came - 1957

After reading the summary for this movie, we immediately pressed play. I mean, who can pass up a chance to see a tree terrorize an island?

So, the plot of this movie is really strange. A prince is getting killed by being staked to the ground and listen to people accuse him of killing his father. He denies the accusation and curses them all. After stabbing a voodoo doll and sledgehammering a dagger into the prince's chest, they stand him up in a wooden box and bury him.

Elsewhere on the island, there are scientists and a woman who runs the trading post. She has a questionable accent and a nasty habit of getting herself into trouble. When the woman doctor arrives on the island, Bill tries to convince her to marry him and leave the island. She goes hiking in her heels, and they come across the prince's grave. The woman convinces Bill to dig it up, and they take it back to the lab. Somehow, Dr. Woman has determined that the stump-man has a human heartbeat, and she wants to use her formula on it to try and keep it alive. Instead, the tree-man (since they dug him up, he's taller now) wakes up and runs amok all over the place.

The monster for this movie was hilarious. He was really slow, but no one escaped him! The way they kill him at the end was amazing, and I think that scene inspired the Stormtroopers in Star Wars. Those three guys shot a gillion bullets. Bill was so annoying, I wanted to slap him. His superpower was being pessimistic about everything and condescending to Dr. Woman. She was annoying as well. Who hikes around the jungle in heels?!

I'm not sure this one can be classified as amazing. If you've got some time and need some background noise, this might be a good choice. Overall, I was entertained, but I don't think I'd watch it again. I'm still giving it a Good Movie! review, but it's not an instant classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment