What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, September 27, 2026

Creature of Destruction - 1967

This was our pick for movie night. The summary for it was wild, and we just had to know how a magician was controlling a creature.

A guy hates humanity, so he hypnotizes a beautiful woman and controls a creature that is her, but it’s also not her. What I mean is that both can exist at the same time. The woman can also tap into her own beam while hypnotized and summon one of her past lives. There’s a military psychologist who wanders around trying to solve the mystery, but he essentially has the personality of a piece of paper.

This movie was wild. A lot of times in these bad monster movies, they’ll hide the monster in darkness so you can’t see how bad it is. In this case, the opposite is true. They showed the monster all the time, but it was awful. The “teeth” made it look like a naked mole rat. The best thing about that is when they had a sketch artist talk to a witness. That picture was amazing.

And then there was the singer. He was just there, and his songs were extremely weird. It was as if someone gave him the music and told him to sing something. I was glad when he was attacked. He was pretty stupid anyway.

The other thing I have to mention is the day-for-night technique. I’ve seen it a few times now, and I’m labeling this movie as the worst. I had no clue when it was supposed to be nighttime. It was obviously daytime all the time, but we figured out that when the magician has his top hat on, it’s probably nighttime.

The premise belongs in a category of its own. The woman has these personalities in her mind, and she spouts off an English accent while she’s under hypnosis. When the “expert” questions her, he asks general knowledge questions like who was the monarch. Really? They said that made her answers verifiable, but it also meant they could have looked it up ahead of time. And what was her actual connection to the creature? Why does shooting the creature do nothing, but shooting the woman kills both? That was just weird.

Overall, this one wasn’t as enjoyable as it could’ve been. We didn’t have anyone to root for. Everyone was terrible. There wasn’t even a dog! The movie had some serious potential, but it’s going to end up being a pass from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment