What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Friday, July 28, 2023

The Invisible Man Returns - 1940

After watching The Invisible Man, I was curious how he was going to return. I did enjoy the 1933 movie, so I was looking forward to seeing where this went.

In the first movie, Jack came up with a formula that made him invisible. It also had the adverse side effect of causing him to go insane. Now, Jack's brother, Frank, has used the same formula to save his friend from being hanged. But, there's a small problem. Now his friend is on the run, and Frank doesn't have the antidote for the formula yet.

Geoffrey is charged with the murder of his brother. He escapes and soon starts to show signs of madness. He finds out what happened to his brother, but he also wants to take revenge on his own. The difference is he had Frank make a promise. If he started to show madness, Frank was supposed to stop him before he hurt anyone.

I was glad to see they didn't try to pretend the original Invisible Man didn't die. That would've irritated me. Instead, it was more of a continuation of Jack's formula than pretending none of the previous events happened. 

This might sounds strange, but Frank was my favorite character. Even though Vincent Price was the Invisible Man, and I do like him, Frank gets my vote. He worked his butt off, tried to keep Geoff from going insane, AND was the most level-headed person in the movie.

The end was more uplifting than the last movie, but a few things were left unresolved. Was Geoff held accountable for the laws he broke? Was the doctor? Oh well, he's visible...hooray!! I prefer the plot line in the first movie, even though there was a lot more carnage. This one wasn't bad by any means, and I'll still give it a Good Movie! review. I think if I was going to watch one again, it would be the 1933 movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment