What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, July 8, 2023

The Invisible Man - 1933

This is considered a classic monster movie, but I'd never seen it.

Jack shows up in a small town and just wants to be left alone to perform his experiments. He's made himself invisible, but what he doesn't realize is that one of the chemicals he's used is extremely dangerous. When his frustration boils over, he leaves the town in chaos and goes back to a coworker. That turns out to be a big mistake and the beginning of his downfall.

I don't know if I was supposed to sympathize with Jack, but I didn't. I didn't have any sense of who he was before he went invisible, and the only time he showed any real humanity was when he was talking to Flora. The rest of the time, he was basically insane. Kemp was irritating, and the other doctor should've turned Jack in when he discovered he was dangerous. I mean, Jack was murdering people left and right!

Even though there wasn't really anyone to root for in this movie, I still enjoyed it. There were some little moments of humor I liked, and the movie was a little over an hour. I wish it had been longer. It would have been nice to see how Jack's character changed from the effect of the drug. I've got another one lined up, The Invisible Man Returns, but I'm curious how that's going to happen. Jack died...anway, this one gets a Good Movie! review.



No comments:

Post a Comment