What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Inside Out - 1975

This movie revolves around the premise of a group of men who come together to break a Nazi out of prison to find out where he hid some gold. It's set in the 70's, so it's been a while since the war. The German was in charge of a POW camp where Morgan was a prisoner. Apparently, there's a fortune hid somewhere, and he wants some help to get his hands on it.

So the gang ends up being the former head of the POW camp - Ernst, a man who saw the exchange of the gold - Hans, a professional eater (he provides uniforms but he's not there much), Sly the general criminal, Erika the romantic interest for Sly who is also a nurse, and Prior who works in the prison. I don't understand why they have one guy guarded by so many people. It's just weird and a waste of resources. They could've stuck him in any prison, and it would've been fine. Whatever.

So, I had a few problems with this movie. First, they're breaking a man out of prison for gold. I mean, technically, they put him back, but that's beside the point. Then, they just use people and don't care. For instance, Hans is afraid to go to East Germany. Why didn't they just leave him behind? Instead, he ends up dying, and they don't care. They drive away happily, literally laughing, until they realize they don't have enough people in the car. Then they go back for his corpse and prop him up in the back seat. THEN they just chuck him in the river...seriously?!

I hated everyone in this movie. When they found the gold, I wanted it to be something else. I wanted it to be blankets or newspapers. I didn't want them to win. They were so smug and annoying. At the end, the three putzes just abandon the car in the middle of the road and walk away laughing. Ugh. The last thing I want to mention is the music. I understand the 70's was an interesting time for music and all that, but it was SO jarring. There were only a few times I would say the music fit the mood of the scene.

I suppose the "comedy" in this went over my head. I recognize they were trying to do some lighthearted moments here and there, but I was just so annoyed by the whole thing. This movie was definitely not for me, and I won't be watching it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment