Since we lost our monster movie list, we've been choosing blind lately. This one sounded interesting. I mean, we love the Creature that lived in the Black Lagoon, so how bad could this be?
The answer is: pretty bad.
Ok, the plot is insane to begin with. There's a beam of radioactivity shooting out of a crack in the ocean floor. The nutty professor has apparently used the radiation to create a mutated turtle that guards the crack. Anyone who goes close to that area is hugged to death by the creature. Apparently, they're horribly burned as well, but they looked normal to me. We have two people trying to get to the truth. Mr. Grant is a government man, and he eventually enlists the help of Dr. Ted. The doctor created his own creature and wears suits on the beach.
The beach itself is a wasteland. No one is ever hanging out there, but there always seems to be a boat waiting for someone to take it out. Also, the strange couple that appeared out of nowhere found scuba gear waiting for them! The creature never moves from the radiation area, so I figured they could just put out a buoy and stay away from the area.
I never understood why so many people went onto the beach in such stupid outfits. What woman is hiking along the beach in heels on purpose? That was the professor's daughter, and she was odd. She had some weird outfits and was strangely attached to her father.
George was creepy with the way he "hid" in bushes all the time. Ethel was kind of a poo. At first, I thought the professor was being paranoid, but nope. People were actually spying on him. Ethel blamed the professor for the death of someone, so she was trying to find the dirt on him. She's also dumber than a box of rocks. "Here, let me eavesdrop outside the door, and no one will see the huge shadow I'm throwing on the wall!" Really? George was trying to make money off the professor's research (?).
I did have fun with this one, but we really needed more of the creature. I'm still not sure how the radiation only burned the stupid rowboat, but it blew the huge destroyer out of the water. The other weird thing was, you couldn't tell what time of day it was. Sometimes it was supposed to be the middle of the night, but it's definitely daytime. At one point, I didn't understand how Ted didn't know who shot the spear at him, because you could clearly see George lurking in the bushes. Ted was also close to the car when it drove away.
I think this one earns a Good Movie! review. There's a lot of fun moments of nonsense in there. If that's your thing, check this movie out!
P.S. No way was this thing was 10,000 leagues under the sea. It wasn't a phantom either...

No comments:
Post a Comment