What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, August 30, 2026

The Curse of Nostradamus - 1961

This is a Mexican movie that was released in the States in 1962. We read the summary and were immediately on board.

An old professor is approached by a 400-year-old vampire who claims to be the son of Nostradamus. He says that he will kill 13 people if the professor doesn't revive the Cult of Nostradamus. The professor is skeptical of the man's power, even though he was able to break into the professor's house. The vampire makes predictions and then proceeds to make them come true. How many deaths will the professor allow to be on his hands before he takes action?

This movie was wild. I think the guy with the camera and the one in charge of the sound effects were the same person. And that's not a compliment. At the very beginning, it sounded like someone was using a car horn. Later, the vampire had his own strange music to let the audience know he's around. He liked swooshing his cape and turning into a bat.

The quality of this film was crazy. It looked like it was from the 1930s. The subject of scenes were rarely centered, but they were a lot of close-ups for no reason. I think my favorite character was the hunchback. I'm not sure what his name was, but hearing his voice for the first time had me laughing out loud. The ending of this was one of the most abrupt we've ever seen, and we've seen a lot of them. It wasn't even super clear what happened. Anthony had a magic gun with unlimited bullets, which was good since he shot one off every couple seconds until the vampire was standing in front of him. Then he didn't shoot. I had fun with this one, but it's hard on the eyes. I'm giving it a Good Movie! review, but just know you're going to witness a ton of nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment