What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

The Christmas Contract - 2018

I was on a cleaning break yesterday, so we picked a Christmas movie and got out the bingo cards.

Jack and Jolie are in Louisiana for different reasons. Jack agreed to pretend to be Jolie's boyfriend to make her ex, Foster, jealous. Jolie is celebrating Christmas in the most Louisiana place ever. Jack has to ghostwrite a romance novel set in Louisiana, and he has a weird list of "plot points." It's more like a checklist but whatever.

This movie was strange. I refuse to address the absurdity of the contract. The family was suspicious from the very start. I don't know what these two did on the plane trip from New York, but it definitely wasn't going over their story. Also, Jack wasn't able to finish a romance novel. Weird. Anyway, they make Jack sleep in a Louisiana spare office, because apparently this huge house doesn't have enough bedrooms upstairs. This humongous house.

Jolie has a few run-ins with her ex and his oily hair. Jack checks off a few of the to-dos off his plot events. I'm not sure how a turtle rustling a tree counts as fleeing from danger, but with imagination, he turned it into an alligator. 

The conflict in this movie was dumb. Jolie finds the list and gets mad. She won't let Jack explain, but he doesn't help by calling it "work stuff" even though he's already declined to write the book. Then, once they reconcile, Jolie is on board and wants him to write it because it is now based on a true story.

The movie is pretty bad for bingo. There's no snow (Louisiana), and it doesn't feel Christmas-y. Only one of us got a bingo, and it wasn't me. Jack was okay as a character, but Jolie was irritating. I blame her parents. They just brushed off the whole "I lied about having a boyfriend." Her mom even told her she had nothing to apologize for. I'm sorry, what?! Pass on this one.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment