What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, July 27, 2024

The Chase - 1946

It's been a while, but I read about the restoration of this film in an article and ended up putting it on my watch list. It's based on a book by Cornell Woolrich (he might sound familiar for being the brains behind Rear Window). I mean, the film looked great, so good job on that one!

In this film, Scotty finds a wallet on the sidewalk. When he returns it, he's honest about removing enough for breakfast, impressing the man who owns it. Scotty immediately gets the chauffeur's job and starts driving around this insane guy, Roman. This man has magic pedals in the backseat of his car where he can control the speed of the car. It's interesting.

Scotty drives Roman's wife to the beach a couple times. She's desperate to get away, and she convinces Scotty to help her. What follows is a series of events that aren't what they seem. When Scotty wakes up, he has some weird memory issues and jets off to his doctor. I saw the end coming a mile away, and it wasn't super satisfying. I thought the movie was going to address the mental health thing a little more, but it just got brushed away like it didn't exist once he got his memory back. I would've liked to know more about that for sure.

The story itself had me interested, but I'm not sure about the execution. I'd like to read the book, but it looks like there were issues with Woolrich's estate, so I might have to do some hunting for it. If the main ideas were Woolrich's, I'm intrigued. The movie itself didn't wow me. It wasn't boring, I just don't think it was for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment