What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Thursday, July 25, 2024

Marnie - 1964

This came on my radar as it's a Hitchcock film I haven't seen (or heard of), and it also stars Sean Connery. It's based on a novel by Winston Graham, an author I've read a few times. Those were entries in his Poldark series, though, and I was unaware he had written thrillers.

In this film, Marnie is a thief. She tries to buy nice things for her mother, because she's never quite felt the love she craves. Eventually, she steals from the wrong man, and she ends up married to a man who wants to help her. She just wants to be left alone, but he won't give up until he learns the truth about what made Marnie who she is today.

This movie is a bit of a strange one for me. The middle of it dragged a bit for me, but I was engaged at the beginning and the end. The truth of Marnie's past was complex (as I knew it would be), and it was well done. I liked Connery in this movie, and it was nice to see Alan Napier (Alfred - OG Batman). Tippi Hedren did an okay job, but her range was narrower than I expected for what she was dealing with. That might sound weird for a woman that would have complete freak-outs, but it's hard to explain.

There's one more negative to point out. I'm an animal person, so the scene with Forio (a horse) was disappointing. Movies can murder characters the whole film, but don't touch the animals! Putting that aside, I did enjoy the beginning and the end, but the middle and the death of Forio would prevent me from watching this one again. I'm sad to admit that since I liked the performances of Connery and Napier...I might look into reading the book one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment