What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, July 27, 2024

Tank Force (No Time to Die) - 1958

I saw this one on Tubi as leaving soon. It was released in the U.S. as Tank Force, but elsewhere as No Time to Die (with or without an exclamation point). Sometimes I wonder if I'm channeling my dad when I throw on one of these random war movies. When I was younger, he'd always throw these things on, and I'd moan and complain. Now they seem to be one of the first things I choose to watch. It seems this movie is based on a 1954 novel by Ronald Kemp called No Time to Die.

Anyway, this movie doesn't have any big names in it (to me), but it starts out with a tank battle. Spoiler: it ends with one as well. The Allies aren't doing too well. The Panzers are blowing things up, with crews abandoning tanks left and right. They're immediately taken prisoner where a few contrary individuals don't want to play by the rules of escape.

One contrarian (we'll call him Scarf) cares about himself. His wife was sent to a camp and killed, and apparently he failed in an attempt to blow up Goebbels. The other contrarian (The Pole - not kidding, he's listed that way in the credits) is a psycho killer who just takes people out because he feels like it. When a sandstorm combines the escape plans of the normal people and the contrarians, they're trapped together trying to get back to Allied territory.

I don't think the characters in this movie were very nice. The ones that lived that is. I was partial to Bartlett, but he was killed. I'm not sure why. He was sleeping next to the truck, the Arabs came up, looked at The Pole, then killed Bartlett for no reason. They didn't kill The Pole. Just confusing. I found the credits for this movie interesting. Half the people don't have actual names. It's all Camp Commandant, Italian Girl, The Pole, The Sheikh, German Srgt, etc. Poor actors...

Anyway, with the choices made on who died and who made it out alive, this movie was a bust. Two whole people made it out. One of them was the dreaded Scarf. The survivors asked to borrow a shovel, but then they bury the one sergeant and stick his hat on top. That tank isn't getting that shovel back! Thieves! Oh well, the movie wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't watch it again voluntarily.



No comments:

Post a Comment