What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, January 27, 2024

The Hurt Locker - 2008

I saw this movie was leaving Tubi soon, and I wanted to watch it, so I put it on. I didn't know much about it - just that it was a war movie. I didn't even know what war it covered.

The movie is set during the Iraq War. It focuses on a unit of men who risk their lives defusing bombs. At the beginning, every precaution is made, but the team leader is taken out by a remote detonation. In comes his replacement...James.

Will James is a very complex character. He takes unnecessary risks, but he gets the job done. The other members of his team are not keen on his tactics, and the friction in the team comes and goes. They have to put aside differences to work together, but they also believe James will get them killed.

Eventually, Bravo team's tour is up, and James goes home. He's trying to be happy with his son, but he can't resist the pull of defusing those bombs.

The movie is different. I have never seen anything like it. I found out it had a low budget, but I couldn't tell. And I didn't care. The story was so engrossing that I hated when I had to pause it for dinner. Jeremy Renner especially did an excellent job portraying someone who craved the adrenaline but also struggled. Anthony Mackie and Brian Geraghty did excellent as well.

I saw a few comments the movie isn't totally accurate, and I didn't expect it to be. It's not a documentary. I'm going to ignore that and commend the film for the acting, story, and music. I even let the credits play because I liked the music so much. It easily earns a Good Movie! review. Well done.



No comments:

Post a Comment