What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Giant from the Unknown - 1958

Movie night! Scrolling through the available classics, we found this little gem and put it on.

Strange killings are happening in the small town of Pine Ridge. The sheriff brings the body of a man into town, and one of the townsfolk immediately lifts the tarp to reveal the horror to the surrounding bystanders. A man emerges from the countryside with a bag of rocks. Wayne is suspected of the murder, since the sheriff really doesn't like him. A scientist and his pretty daughter come into town to try and find the Diablo Giant.

After that, lightning splits rocks and reanimates an extinct lizard. Then, it somehow wakes up the Giant, Vargas, from a centuries old coma. The question I had was, "Who was mutilating the animals and killed the one guy?" Also, he's not really from the unknown. He was part of the legend of the curse. That was one of the lines I loved. "Have you heard the legend of the curse?" or something like that. Anyway, Vargas goes on his spree of terror (the highlight of which is the lifting and spiking of one of his pursuers on the ground) until he's finally defeated by a missed swing of the axe. Then he falls over a dam, never to be seen again. Because it's some kind of bottomless lake down there...and they're not going to bother looking.

This movie was something else. The women in it were maddening. The first victim literally ran...into Vargas. Then she backed up and started screaming. Didn't even try to get away. Then the scientist's daughter fainted. Before that, she ran super slow. Then she also would stop every once in a while to make sure Vargas could keep up. That was nice of her. Everyone was a terrible shot. I'll give Vargas some slack because he's super old and throwing stones is hard. But everyone else had Star Wars Stormtrooper aim. The entire premise was weird, but we had some fun with it, so I won't give it a good movie review. I will say we enjoyed ourselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment