What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Thursday, October 12, 2023

Call Northside 777 - 1948

This movie is based on a true story. The actual men involved were named Joseph Majczek and Theodore Marcinkiewicz.

A policeman is murdered during prohibition, and two men are convicted of the crime. They are sentenced to 99 years in prison, and that would be the end of the story is it wasn't for a mother's love. She takes out an ad in the newspaper offering a significant reward for information on who murdered the policeman. It's been over 11 years since her son went to prison, and she's been scrubbing floors and saving every penny to help him.

The reporter assigned to the story is skeptical. He doesn't believe the man is innocent at the beginning, but as he digs deeper into the story, he isn't so sure.

The movie took a few liberties with the details, but for the most part, it seemed to follow the actual story. I was a bit peeved at the end. There were two men who were unjustly imprisoned, but the movie never said anything about the second man. In reality, he was incarcerated for another five years before being exonerated.

I enjoyed the movie itself. It was pretty good, and I didn't know what was going to happen. I'd never heard of the case, so the end was a surprise. It was just amazing to realize what was put into motion by a simple ad in a newspaper. Good Movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment