What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, October 23, 2023

Full Metal Jacket - 1987

This movie revolves around a man called "Joker" who enlists in the Marines during the Vietnam War. The first half of the movie is his training, and the second half is in Vietnam.

The drill sergeant was something else. Apparently, he drew upon his own past experience for his part. Joker tried his best at first to help "Gomer Pyle," but he eventually got tired of him just like everyone else. It was interesting to see Vincent D'Onofrio in a role like this.

The acting was good, and the experience was interesting. I wasn't the biggest fan of the musical choices at times. They didn't always seem to match and were downright contradictory at times. Maybe that was on purpose and it went over my head.

This is not a happy movie. I don't know how accurate it is, but it is based on a 1979 novel The Short-Timers. I won't be watching this one again, and when I reflect on it, I just don't know what to think about it. I don't feel like my time was wasted, but I didn't necessarily enjoy my watch either.



No comments:

Post a Comment