What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

All That Heaven Allows - 1955

Cary is a widow who is facing an empty nest. She has an older man who wants to marry her, but she's more interested in the gardener. She eventually decides she wants to marry him, but then the social consequences become apparent.

I found this movie to be a bit weird. No one really cared about anyone else's feelings, but they wanted Cary to care what they thought. I mean, her kids cared what would happen to their lives, Ron only cared that she'd give up her social standing/house and live with him, and her "friends" (besides Sara) were gossipy little snobs. When it comes to remarriage, I understand caring more about your kids when they're younger, and for quite a while I wasn't sure exactly how old these two were. But then they're just like, "I'm getting married!" and the other one says, "I'm going abroad, let's sell the house!" And then Ron pouted like a child when he made her choose, and she chose the children. What did he think would happen?

Okay, I know this is a romantic drama, but I giggled. Out loud. The expert outdoorsman, Ron, plummets himself off the side of a cliff and plops down on some snow. They don't really show how far of a drop it is, but they want it to be a serious injury. Before I discuss his diagnosis, I just want to mention it was funny the way Cary ignored him when he shouted for her (how did she not hear him?) and he just splats into the snow while she cruises away. And then, it's so serious, right?! I guess it's only a concussion. The movie ends with her saying she's home and that's it. I saw him move his legs, so he's okay there, and he knows who people are, so I guess he's going to be fine. So now I don't have to feel bad for laughing when he fell. It was hilarious though.

Anyway, I guess this was an okay movie, but I don't see myself watching it again. People in it made no sense. How was Cary able to stay in the house? How long had she been a widow? I never got an answer to those questions. It seemed like an awful nice (and huge) house for one person. And I know "it's been in the family for a long time," but the woman still has to eat and pay bills, doesn't she? Anyway, I'm way overthinking it. My favorite part is all wrong, and I won't be watching this one again.



No comments:

Post a Comment