What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, June 24, 2023

The Wages of Fear - 1953

When I put this movie on, I really expected a crime thriller, because of the list I pulled it from, but that wasn't what I got. I mean, the first thing I saw was a half naked boy. And it was the bottom half, and he was definitely a boy. Then, there was just a bunch of weird stuff that happened. Where was the crime? Well, it wasn't there. I guess this was meant to be a general thriller.

A group of people are trapped somewhere in South America, and it costs a lot to get out. The problem is, they can't get jobs. A fire breaks out at an oil derrick 300 miles away, and the oil company needs four brave/crazy men to drive two trucks filled with nitroglycerin down there.

You have four guys on the trip. I never found out how the old dude "convinced" the one guy to back out or not show up. The guy was in the end sequence, so he didn't get murdered or maimed or anything. Also, everyone dies. I hate that the two guys I actually liked just blow up, and I don't know how. There's just a scene with the one guy shaving and then they show the other truck and BOOM! Then old man gets run over and changeable Mario makes it to the derrick. But then he drives like a moron on the way back and swerves himself off a cliff. Eh? I'm not kidding, he was literally swerving back and forth on the road with glee for no reason and then somehow loses control and off the cliff he goes.

I will give this movie credit for ramping up the tension. It was just disappointing that the payoff was everyone dying. The movie was in French, but I had subtitles. At the end, I was left wondering, "What did I just watch, and why?" Pass. 



No comments:

Post a Comment