What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Laura - 1944

I have no idea how this got on my list of things to watch, but I was hunting around for something around an hour and a half, and this fit that criteria.

A police lieutenant, McPherson, is trying to solve the murder of a beautiful young woman. He doesn't have many suspects, but the ones he has are a bit strange. I mean, the movie opened with a writer in the tub. He had a typewriter on a movable tray, so good on him for finding a way to multitask, but...

We also have Laura's crone aunt and her sponge fiancé (played by Vincent Price). Ok, so I just called her a crone because she's clearly in love with the fiancé, and that's messed up. I normally like Vincent Price's characters, but not in this one. He's a pain in the rear and sponges off women. Multiple women. The author was a condescending twit and annoying.

I was fond of Laura, but my favorite character by a mile was McPherson. I love the way he played with a little marble game when he was trying to think. I like the way he would use Columbo tactics (before Columbo) to trip up the suspects. He was the best.

This was a pretty good movie all around. I thought I knew what was going on, but then something would happen that would make me question if I was right. I did have it figured out, but I didn't have the why or how until later on. It's entirely possible I'd watch this one again, even though there are more irritants than characters I want to root for. Oh, and RIP to both the antique clocks...Good Movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment