What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, June 25, 2023

The Million Pound Note - 1954

Henry finds himself poor and alone in London. He's hungry, and no one seems to be able to help him. Not even the American consulate. A pair of brothers spots him from a window and invites him inside. They give him a letter and tell him not to open it until 2 p.m. They tell him it has money inside. They just don't say how much.

Finding a million pound note in a letter is something of a shock not only to Henry, but to everyone he shows it to. People are opening doors to him, giving him free food and clothes with the promise to wait forever for payment. Eventually, all this good fortune will weave itself into a nasty web he wants to get out of, but he has to give the note back to the brothers intact after a month to fulfill his part of the bargain.

This movie wasn't that bad, but the comedy fell a bit flat for me. I think it was all the added noises that signaled a comedic moment. Those grated on my nerves a bit. I liked Henry's sidekick, and even though he couldn't talk, he was my favorite character. I always hate when there's the whole "easily fixed by a little communication" problem in a movie. Granted, Henry did try, but he waited too long, so Portia didn't believe him when he told her the truth.

Just as an FYI, this is based on a story by Mark Twain. Overall, I didn't regret watching it, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment