What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Friday, June 30, 2023

The Paradine Case - 1947

This film is directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starred Gregory Peck. I saw a few other familiar faces, but I wouldn't be able to name them.

Tony is persuaded to represent a lovely widow who is charged with the murder of her blind husband. Tony finds her attractive and doesn't seem to have the ability to hide that fact from anyone. His love makes him come up with an alternate scenario where the husband's valet is responsible for the murder. Mrs. Paradine warns Tony not to try this tactic, but he ignores her. The valet cracks on the witness stand and admits he was having an affair with his master's wife. She denies it, but when the news breaks the valet has done away with himself, she admits to her wrongdoing. She doesn't care anymore. Her lover is dead.

I disliked this movie a great deal. Tony is a putz. I don't see what he finds so fascinating about Mrs. Paradine. His wife, Gay, is much too tolerant of his wandering eye. She even comes to him in the end and is like, "All is forgiven! Please be a lawyer some more!" Gag.

This movie is based on a Robert Hichens book. I thought that name sounded familiar, so I looked back and discovered the link: the movie Temptation and the book Bella Donna. Both of which I was not a fan of.  I have no intentions of reading the book for this one. I'm sure Tony is still a putz...



No comments:

Post a Comment