What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Friday, June 9, 2023

Temptation - 1946

I have no idea how this movie ended up in my list of films to be watched, but here we are. I picked this one randomly and had no idea what it was about.

Ruby is a manipulator and likes to have things her own way. She marries an Egyptologist, and when she tires of that life, she starts having an affair. The man has many of the same qualities that she does, but she falls in love with him anyway. Later on, their affair is threatened by money issues and Ruby's marriage. The only way out seems to be getting rid of one of the obstacles. Or maybe both...

Ruby is awful, and her lover isn't much better. I don't know if the movie wanted me to sympathize with her, but the only person I really felt sorry for was her husband, Nigel. He knew her past and loved her anyway. She didn't know that until the end, but it shouldn't have made a difference. He loved her the whole time and was good to her. But Ruby just had to have more...

The movie is based on a book called Bella Donna by Robert Hichens. I may look into reading it one day, just to see if Ruby's character was less irritating. The best part was Nigel being protected from the truth about the woman he loved so much while the villains get what they deserve. Nigel and Marie are the real high points of the movie, followed by the policeman and the doctor. I don't see myself watching this one again.



No comments:

Post a Comment