What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Rope - 1948

This is an Alfred Hitchcock film starring Jimmy Stewart. Looking at the list of Hitchcock's filmography, this movie falls near the middle. It was in a classic thriller list, and I was interested in watching it.

Brandon has teamed up with his friend, Phillip, and killed their other "friend" David. And now, Brandon is basking in the glory of getting away with it, but Phillip isn't bouncing back quite so well. But yes, Brandon is annoying the whole time, and I wanted to punch him in the face.

I want to give this movie some credit for being engaging for an hour and a half and being entirely shot in one location. We spend the entire movie in Brandon's living room and a few brief moments by his front door. The only other time I've seen that work is in 12 Angry Men. My main annoyance was when they actually bothered to show Phillip "play" the piano. They said something about him having an audition or something, but the man can't play...

I'm definitely torn about the movie. Not because it wasn't good, but because I felt so bad for David's father. The man was breaking my heart when he was so worried about David, and the whole time Brandon is basically mocking him in little ways. I thought the movie overall was good, and I would probably watch it again. I liked Stewart's character and the realization he had at the end was really good. Good Movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment