What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, May 29, 2023

Another Man’s Poison - 1951

A woman’s husband shows up out of nowhere, and she isn’t happy. She’s got a whole life built for herself, and he’s a threat to that. When his partner in crime shows up, he finds out she’s not above getting rid of people that get in her way. In fact, her husband's corpse is lying in another room.

After that, they team up and pretend the partner is her husband. She already has a lover, her secretary’s fiancé, and that just makes her worse. They show up and muddle the works. The woman (played by Bette Davis) flirts with the fiancé under her secretary’s nose. The partner gets fed up with the whole thing, and when Davis tries to make him “disappear,” he strikes an injury in the only place it really hurts her. Fury.

There isn’t really anyone to root for in this movie, except for maybe the horse and the secretary. For the most part, people get what they deserve, and that makes it a pretty decent story. But with all the unlikable characters, who am I supposed to root for? Am I supposed to be happy at the end? I may put it on for background noise, but it isn’t one I will rewatch because I like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment