What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Carnival Row 2019-2023 – 2 Seasons

I’ve watched a lot of shows. I’ve enjoyed a lot of shows and gave up on a lot more. But I wanted to take a moment and rant a bit here.

I really liked the first season of this show. I liked the characters and the mystery. There was depth to the choices each person made, and time was spent on the story arc. And the music? Loved that. I bought that and still listen to it often.

I looked forward to the second season, but I’m always afraid something will go wrong. And guess what? It did…

I read some of the reviews, and a lot of people mention the word “woke.” I’m not going to disagree some of that was stuffed in there. For me, the bigger problem was the choices made with the characters. Okay, so up until the last episode, I was holding out hope it would turn out. And then, at the end of the last episode, I saw red. WHAT?

MAJOR SPOILERS…

So, Vignette is awful this whole season. She’s selfish and a brat. I seriously disliked her, but everyone else (minus Darius) seemed to love her. Why? Philo deserves better, but what did he end up with? He’s alone and walks with a cane. Even his friends are dead. Speaking of that, they killed Darius?! He was clearly in love with Tourmaline, and he cared about her all the time. Unlike Vignette, who only ran to Tourmaline when she was pissed at Philo. And the Sparas? That thing was horrifying and weird. It also made for a muddy mystery that I didn’t like as much as the first season.

Overall, I’m not going to say the show is awful, but I won’t watch the second season again. I didn’t see anything in it worth a rewatch. I’ve seen the first season a few times, and I’d gladly watch it again. The only thing I took from the second season was the soundtrack. It was another great musical outing for a disappointing season. Congrats to Nathan Barr on that one. For me, the show ends at season one. So, Half a Good Show?


No comments:

Post a Comment