What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, May 21, 2023

Rebecca - 1940

This is one of those stories where I have every intention of getting around to reading the book, but I just haven't done it yet. I ended up watching this on a plane, and it made the time go quicker.

I didn't realize when I started watching this that Alfred Hitchcock was attached. Knowing that, it didn't affect my opinion either way.

Rebecca is the story of a young woman who is swept off her feet and marries in a short amount of time. She was something of an orphan, so she didn't have anyone to teach her what to look out for as far as red flags or just taking the time to get to know someone. As a result, she's a bit mousy and ends up being a bit annoying overall. But, it makes sense for her character to act this way. Now that she's the mistress of the house, she has big shoes to fill. Rebecca's ghost seems to haunt the halls, and the housekeeper won't let her forget it.

I really liked this movie, even though I feel like the second Mrs. de Winter should have at least had a bit of a qualm toward the end at the revelations of her husband, but it's a minor thing and didn't ruin my overall enjoyment.

I'm definitely going to have to read the book. The ending was such a pleasant surprise, and I'm genuinely curious whether the movie followed the original material. I honestly didn't expect it to go that way, but I liked it. Good Movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment