What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Thursday, May 11, 2023

Wiedźmin (The Witcher – Poland) 2002

This is a 13-episode series that aired in 2002. I found it on archive.org and wanted to give it a chance. I’d read somewhere that it was closer to the books than the Netflix series, and I was interested how the country that originated the Witcher interpreted the character.

I had subtitles, so there were times that my attention was divided. Toward the end of the series, some of the subtitles had to be interpreted, since they didn’t make sense on their own. I’m not going to judge the show on the writing because I’m not sure how accurate those subtitles were, and I’m certain they were wrong on numerous occasions.

I have to say that the special effects were pretty bad as well. The monsters were cheesy and super fake, but they didn’t show up very often, so it wasn’t super distracting. Also, the “spells” were questionable. I didn’t mind any of this. The fighting was a bit clunky at times, but it got better as time went on, and there were some pretty neat moments in there.

It may sound like I’m not a fan of this series, but I actually am. I liked the depth they gave Geralt’s character, and the way he fought with his own feelings. He knew he shouldn’t have them, but he also knew he wasn’t human either. I really liked that. The show only had time to get to the point where Geralt meets up with Ciri after they’d been separated.

I understand that I’m probably in a minority on liking the series. People have high expectations, but I’ve seen some really bad stuff, so I’m a little more lenient. If I end up being entertained and liking characters, that’s good enough for me. If you are bothered by bad special effects and subtitles, just steer clear. I personally give it a Good Watch! review.




No comments:

Post a Comment