What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Giant Claw - 1957

We'd just had the internet restored, and it had been a long day. The perfect recipe for a monster movie!

I didn't know squat about this thing. I just threw it on. Between the name and the year, I was guessing it would be at least slightly entertaining, but I'd been fooled before...

A dude is flying a plane when he sees a UFO. To us, they show a flying fuzz. He refers to it as a flying battleship, and everyone thinks he's nuts since it doesn't even show up on radar.

Eventually, we find out what it is - an alien bird. For some reason, the cover says it's prehistoric, but it's an alien. Trust me. Then for some reason, we get into matter and antimatter? Anyway, amazing effects and loads of death, and we end on probably the best death scene I've seen in quite a while.

The people in this movie really suck, though. They "save" the one pilot, but then he's just magically dead. And how did he get all bloody? And then poor Pierre. Why did they take him out with them? And then the couple were like, "Oh well, let's go over here and kiss." Blech.

Anyway, I love this thing. I don't know who's responsible for the travesty that's the wire-work puppet, but I love them. I love whoever did the effects. I really do. They made my day. Good Movie! (for a certain section of people - those who love old monster movies with questionable effects)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment