What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, August 25, 2024

The Invisible Agent - 1942

Next up in the monster list was this little gem. I always have high hopes for the Invisible Man movies.

Frank is the grandson of the original Invisible Man. The Axis powers are working together to try and get the formula from him. Frank escapes and goes to the government, They ask him if they can have the formula, but he declines. He says it would take something major for him to agree to handing over the serum.

Enter the war! I mean, this is 1942, so it wasn't really a surprise. The headlines were screaming about Pearl Harbor. And now Frank is ready to hand over his serum...kinda. He's the only one that will use it. I was so ready to see him dangling from a parachute invisible. And it happened!

Anyway, back to the plot. Frank's in Berlin trying to find evidence of attacks scheduled to happen in America. He makes connections with an old man and a woman who has been getting close to the Nazis. Frank isn't really focused on the goal, though. He plays around at dinner, and the officer leaves before offering the needed information.

Eventually, Frank walks into an obvious trap and starts an epic fire. It's his escape route, and it was pretty genius. Later, he drops off the information, calls the woman and trots off into the night. After a bunch of strange things happen, the man and woman end up in a plane where she just shoves Frank out when he passes out. 

The tricks in this movie were all over the place. Some of them were cool, but others were highly questionable. Anytime Frank was carrying the woman looked ridiculous. Also, why are we casting Peter Lorre as a Japanese man? It took me half the movie to figure out he was supposed to be Japanese. 

Overall, the movie was definitely propaganda. The Axis characters were bumbling fools with the exception of Lorre's Japanese Baron. His acting was fairly decent in this strange mess. I loved the fights. They were the best part of the movie for sure. I'm really disappointed no one cared about Arnold. The Nazis broke all of his fingers, and he's a carpenter. Frank just left him there. Pfft...it's probably because he wasn't wearing a Vera Wang gown.

The movie was entertaining, but I'm not sure it's a Good movie. Frank goes on a super long speech to one of the Nazis about how they'll turn on each other. It was during WWII, so I understand the focus. Also, flak doesn't work that way...Justice for Arnold!



No comments:

Post a Comment