What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Suddenly, Last Summer - 1959

Another random pick. I also chose this one because of the summary. Little did I know there were so many familiar names involved with it: Katherine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Gore Vidal and Tennessee Williams. Wow!

Violet has asked a doctor to perform a lobotomy on her niece. Last summer, Vi wasn't able to go on vacation with her son, and he died. She tells the doctor her son died of a heart attack, and Catherine came back babbling all sorts of nonsense. Now she's being labeled as violent, and Vi needs her moved. She also wants her calmed by a lobotomy. The doctor meets with Catherine, and he's not willing to just perform the surgery.

It's clear from the beginning that Vi is hiding something about her son. Catherine has blocked something in her memory about his death, and no one really seems to want to know the truth. But the doctor isn't giving up.

I found the acting in this pretty good. I like Katherine Hepburn, and it was hard to see her being something of a villainess. I know what she's doing for sure, but I still liked her performance. I haven't seen a lot of Taylor, but I think she did well in this one. It was strange to not actually ever see Sebastian. He was a shadowy character, and I liked that. Reviews were mixed on this one, mostly because the movie is padded somewhat from a screenplay and some content had been changed.

Overall, this one is going to get a Good Movie! review from me. I've seen a lot of padded movies, and this is on the very low end of it being noticeable. To be honest, I wouldn't have even been able to tell if I hadn't read that. Also, I want one of those elevators in my house - even though I don't have an upper floor!



No comments:

Post a Comment