What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, July 14, 2024

The Man Who Walked Alone - 1945

This was a blind pick for movie night. I was excited to see Captain Midnight, Dave O'Brien, in the cast list.

Marion is on his way to the city. He's got his uniform in his suitcase, but he doesn't seem to want anyone to know who he is. A woman picks him up on her way to the city in a stolen car, and they end up getting caught. A quick call clears up that mess, but then they get arrested again when she convinces him to break into her "employer's home."

It soon comes out that Willie is actually Wilhelmina Hammond, a rich young woman running away from a marriage to a political candidate. Willie has seen the uniform and assumed he was a deserter, an assumption others will also make later on.

This movie was pretty good, but Willie was something of a weird one. She keeps telling everyone she's not getting married, and they just tell her okay, sure, and proceed to ignore her. She doesn't really stand her ground very well, so in my mind, she doesn't really deserve Marion. BUT, she's what he wants, so more power to him I suppose.

Anyway, there were some elements of a few movies in here. I was reminded of Bringing Up Baby (stolen car - the sheriff), The Philadelphia Story (oddball younger sister) and It Happened One Night (wealthy socialite fleeing marriage). All together, I suppose this one was okay, but I don't think I would go out of my way to watch it again. On top of the irritating Willie (who started out ok but got worse as the movie went on), I don't think I would've understood anything if we didn't have the closed captioning on. Middle of the road for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment