What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

The Devil's Party - 1938

I saw this movie when we were scrolling the other day, and I wanted to watch it. I had some time this morning, so I put it on. It's based on the book Hell's Kitchen Has a Pantry by Borden Chase.

Marty leads a gang of young criminals who meet in the basement of a building. When a robbery goes wrong, he takes the wrap and refuses to give up the names of the other kids who were with him.

Fast forward many years. Marty owns a business, but he's a bit ruthless. He has enforcers he sends out when a man won't pay his debts. The man dies, and one of the other friends, Joe, suspects foul play. Marty isn't happy about the crossover of his personal and professional affairs and tries to separate them. Unfortunately, Joe ends up dead, and his brother feels the need to avenge the death.

The whole dynamic between the friends fractures eventually, which is to be expected. The end also was pretty much what I expected. There wasn't anything spectacular that stood out to me, and I think the best part was the closed captioning. It was one of those times when I needed it since the audio wasn't super clear. The things that would pop up on the screen at time were amusing, so I had more fun with that than the movie itself. DEATH TO SQUEALERS!



No comments:

Post a Comment