What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, June 2, 2024

The Wrong Man - 1956

I'm pretty sure I heard about this one through an article. It's an Alfred Hitchcock film based on a true story.

Chistopher "Manny" Balestrero wants to borrow against his wife's insurance policy. She needs some dental work done, and the family isn't swimming in money. Little does he know, Manny's decision to walking into the office will change his life.

He's mistaken for a man who held up the office (twice) and gets tracked down by the police. Then, he's paraded through a couple stores and charged with the crime. After that, we get to watch his experience with the justice system in excruciating detail. Granted, he did look guilty with the evidence, but the policemen seemed a bit close-minded.

Okay, the first thing that bugged me was the opening. Hitchcock's ghost or silhouette tells me this is a true story, but then I get the obligatory "THE STORY, ALL NAMES, CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS PORTRAYED IN THIS PRODUCTION ARE FICTITIOUS." Well? Fortunately, I was able to find a news article that lined up most of the events with the film. The differences were minimal.

The other thing that bugged me was the drawn-out scenes. These things dragged on for way too long. I understand he's going through it, but I was getting a bit frustrated the story wouldn't move forward. I was saddened by Rose's reaction to the events but knowing she had at least a partial recovery was something. I know the movie made it sound like she was fine, but I saw references that she never fully recovered (including a quote from her son). I believe that. That kind of experience would change your life.

Anyway, the movie itself was okay. I got more interested in the story behind the movie than the movie itself, so I don't think I'd watch it again. I'm glad I heard the story, but I'm still a bit confused how so many people could mistake the two men. In the article I found, it shows both men, and they look nothing alike.


Seriously?




No comments:

Post a Comment