What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

The Pumaman - 1980

I initially saw this gem through MST3K. Since that time, it's become something of a classic in my mind.

This movie has a thin "plot." A man discovers he's the Pumaman when Vadinho (a man who really loves his necklace) throws him out a window. A mind-controlling mask is in the hands of Blofeld from the Bond films. He is looking for the Pew-ma-man (he's the only one in the movie who pronounces it that way, and I'm not sure why someone didn't tell him) for reasons I don't understand. I think it's because Pumaman is obligated to get the mask back to the Aztec UFO that my kids said looked like a Christmas ornament.

There are many wonderful things in this movie: mind control, literally flying by the seat of one's pants, getting lost in the nether, phasing through walls, claws of the puma, the ability to play dead, and one of our personal favorites, changing sizes while attacking (?) a helicopter. 

I've watched this movie multiple times, and I've loved it every time. According to my research, it was supposed to be a serious movie, but they didn't know how to operate the special effects camera, so they tried to make this humorous. It's the best thing. I know the director wasn't happy with the end product, but every single person I've watched this with has had a great time. Best watched with friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment