What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, June 23, 2024

The Monster and the Girl - 1941

Next up in our "monster" movie list was this film. There are times during movie night when we end up asking, "Who put together this list?" We did that for about half of this one.

We start with a trial. Or rather, we start with a woman approaching through the mist claiming responsibility for the following events. Her brother is on trial for murder. She tries to save him but fails. While he's awaiting execution, a doctor approaches and asks for his brain.

That's when it gets crazy. His brain gets put into a gorilla, and he escapes to exact revenge. Somehow he kills these men sin a way that breaks all their bones but leaves no mark. We thought maybe he was squeezing them or something, but when they showed him kill someone, it just looked like he gave them a quick hug. The end was super weird. RIP Scott.

For some reason, I was focused on the brain thing. I was thinking gorillas had smaller brain cavities, and upon doing a bit of research, it looks like humans have a brain 3x the size of a gorilla's. So I was wondering if they shaved down Scott's brain to fit it into the gorilla. 

Anyway, the people in this thing were weird, and my favorite had to be the coroner. He'd just come into the room and declare the man dead. The cops would be asking him how, and he would say, "that's your job." Lovely! He would casually mention all the bones were broken and out he'd go. Then the reporters rushed in to take pictures. CSI would've flipped out. My very favorite character of the movie had to be Skipper the dog. He was the bestest boy! He would bring Scott his hat, and he was even a pro at tracking scuzzy men. He was a good lookout and was even sad at the end.

The movie was weird. It was more tolerable than some of the others, but I'm not sure it was good enough to make it a Good Movie. It was only a little over an hour, and the first half was flashbacks and a trial. The "attacks" weren't satisfying, and we didn't get to see all of them. And did they do anything to the doctor? Oh well. Thanks, Skipper for making this movie tolerable!



No comments:

Post a Comment