What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, June 23, 2024

Point Blank - 1967

I saw an article about this movie a while back and finally got the chance to watch it last night. It stars Lee Marvin, an actor I've seen around a fair bit, and is based on a novel called The Hunter.

Alcatraz is the location of a heist where Walker (Marvin) and his partner take some money from criminals. Then, Walker is betrayed, and his partner shoots him and leaves him to die. Later, Walker somehow makes it back and tracks down his wife and eventually the partner. Walker wants his money. He's not really concerned about who he uses and takes down in the meantime. There's also a man offering to assist Walker in his revenge murder spree.

There are a few things in this movie that struck me. Our "hero" wasn't a nice guy, so rooting for him wasn't really an option. I hated the way he used his wife's sister, and I'm not sure why she was putting up with it. The flashbacks were strange and confusing. When naked man fell off the roof, that was pretty hilarious.

The end was irritating. So, we ended up at Alcatraz to get Walker his dang money, but he just stands in the shadows. There was a twist to the plot, but it didn't hit me. I didn't care about Walker or his money. And then it just ended. What about Chris? Apparently, we don't care. And that's where we leave it. And that's where I'm going to leave this review. I was glad when this hour and a half was over. I still like Lee Marvin, I think he did a good job, he just wasn't a nice character.



No comments:

Post a Comment