What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, May 11, 2024

Warlock - 1989

I had some time on my hands and heard about this movie. Being a fan of Julian Sands, I was interested in checking out this film.

A warlock is sent to the future where he's tasked with finding the three parts of the devil's grimoire. He wants to uncreate creation, but he'll need to go through Redferne first. Redferne followed him to the future (somehow) and employs a young woman to help stop the warlock.

Ok, so first I'm going to address the elephant in the room. The special effects in this movie are AWFUL. They're straight up some of the worst I think I've seen in a LONG time. If I move past that, I tend to lean toward Sands in any of his roles. I think he did a good job here, but it was hard to root for him at times. I can kind of sympathize with him using kids to be able to "fly," but it still looked really bad.

The story was interesting, and I liked it overall. I feel like the warlock acting was better than Redferne. That guy seemed to lean into a caricature or something. I also found it interesting these guys time travel 300 years and seemed to take it extremely well.

There are more movies, even though this one didn't do that well. Julian Sands appears again in the second one, so I might watch it, but I'm trying to narrow down how I feel about this one. I also want to point out how this movie didn't rely on jump scares. I expected one a couple times, but I was never scared. And I am very jumpy. I was entertained the whole time, and I'm going to give it a Good Movie! review. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I understand the criticisms, and they are valid, but I had a good time with it. Fly on, Julian Sands, fly on!



No comments:

Post a Comment