What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, May 12, 2024

Son of Frankenstein - 1939

Next up in our Universal Monster movie list is this little gem. It has some great actors in it (Lugosi, Karloff and Basil Rathbone), so I was interested in this one for sure.

Basil is the son of Frankenstein. Now that his father is dead, he's bringing his wife and son to the ol' family home. The village meets them at the station with an icy reception, but they do present Basil with a briefcase that he carries around gently for the next 20 minutes. 

Lurking around the homestead is Igor, the hanged man who didn't die. Apparently, when the lab collapsed at the end of the last movie, the monster didn't die. Igor is lurking around the property and convinces Basil to "heal" the monster. Little does Basil realize the man who stole bodies (they say) is actually manipulating him to revive his murder toy.

Okay, so this was another movie where I just felt bad for the monster. Little Peter, Basil's son, was helpful and liked everyone, including the monster. Again, the poor monster just wants to be treated as a sentient being. Unfortunately, Igor is the one in control, so again, the monster is at the mercy of a terrible person. Sigh. Again, they "kill" him,  There was a lot of peeping, and Bela was playing a weird instrument sometimes.

Krogh, the inspector, looked really familiar. The actor has been in a lot of things, but I think the main movie I was thinking of was Beggars in Ermine. His arm was a bit strange. I don't know if prosthetic arms worked like that back then, but I feel like someone should've given him a better arm. And what was up with his story? He said the monster ripped off his arm, but in previous movies, the monster was fine until people provoked him. I mean, he accidentally killed that girl in the pond, but I feel like she could've stood up and walked out of the water. Just my thoughts. Remember in the second movie when he was hanging out with the blind man (probably not, but I do)? He even learned how to speak, but apparently forgot how to do that for this movie. AND! He sacrificed himself at the end for the stupid humans in love! Argh.

Anyway, the movie was okay, but again, everyone was terrible except for the kid and the monster. I wouldn't really ask anyone I like to watch it. My enemies? Maybe...



No comments:

Post a Comment