What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, April 22, 2024

The Picture of Dorian Gray - 1945

I read this book a while back and remember the story pretty well. I also have plans to try and read it again in the near future. While hanging out in the hotel room one day, I sifted through Tubi and saw this movie. It has George Sanders, who is becoming a common name for me, and Angela Lansbury.

Dorian has a portrait made, and an unusual thought enters his mind. What if the portrait could take all the ravages of time and the consequences of his actions while he remains the same? He wants for that to happen so badly, and his wish comes true. Eventually, everything catches up to him. Dorian doesn't escape his actions forever.

I really appreciated a few things this particular film did. This is the first version of the film I've seen, but I know there are others. I saw one with a familiar face that I definitely plan on watching. One of the things I liked was in the credits at the beginning. They gave the artists of the actual paintings the credit they deserve. I liked the reflection picture a bit more since it took imagination, but I thought it was nice they got credit in general. The other thing that struck me was the use of color. I don't want to say too much, but the way they chose to use color in this movie was really good.

I only have one qualm, and that's how vague they were about Dorian's offenses. Some were mentioned, others were hinted at. He didn't seem like a likeable person, but little G liked him. When she grew up, she loved him, but I wonder if it was more loving the idea of him.

I really enjoyed the movie. I see they really pushed George Sanders' involvement in the film, but he wasn't the main character. RIP to Basil. He just wanted to help his friend. The story is tense without being too scary, which is something that appeals to my sensitive nature. Good Movie!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment