What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, April 22, 2024

I Walked with a Zombie - 1943

We were at the airport super early, but when the flight crew got delayed, I tried to find something that would fill the time. The first thing I saw within the time frame was this movie. I didn't really pay attention to anything about it other than the runtime.

A woman is hired to take care of the wife of a plantation owner. It's on an island where voodoo is  prominent. The wife acts strange. She walks around in a daze but will follow orders. Betsy wants to help the wife, especially since she's fallen in love with the husband. We also have the half-brother of Paul (the husband) wandering around brooding. Wes is in love with Jessica (the wife) and wanted to run away with her.

When Betsy takes Jessica to the voodoo witchdoctor, she's shocked to find a familiar face there. While she's inside talking, the natives perform a test on Jessica and discover she's a zombie. After that, the natives are super obsessed with getting Jessica into their camp for some reason. They were happy when she died, so actual death solved their problem I suppose.

Ok, this movie was strange. I was supposed to be happy that Paul and Betsy got together, but I wasn't. She was irritating, and I don't see why Paul was so wonderful. Wes and Jessica had my sympathy even though one was a zombie. I can't imagine what acting that role would've been like. Anyway, at the end, they were the ones I cared about.

Creepiness abounds in this movie. Why in the world did they keep the creepy figurehead with arrows in it and make it into a fountain? The thing was terrifying, but I suppose it served its purpose in the end. Also, Carrefour was the creepiest dude. He was tall, skinny and lit crazy at night. He shuffled his feet and didn't speak.

The movie itself made the time pass faster than it would have without the movie, but I wouldn't recommend it. It was just strange and creepy. The hero/heroine were not great people, and I wasn't happy for them at the end. Pass.



No comments:

Post a Comment