What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Murder at Glen Athol - 1936

This is another one of those quick mysteries that is a little over an hour. I knew nothing about it when I put it on. It appears to be listed on IMDB as The Criminal Within and shows Murder at Glen Athol as the original title.

A well-known detective is on vacation writing his autobiography when he gets invited next door to a party. At the party, he meets a beautiful woman. Later that night, he gets involved in a strange double murder.

The threads that end up coming together in this one are far apart. For a time, Jane appears to be involved, and the detective has to doubt what he feels for the woman. Then, he overlooks a major clue that sets the two murders apart. He has a sidekick, but this man doesn't get near as annoying as the policemen in the previous movie.

I actually liked this one. I wasn't sure that I would, but I'm left with some interesting questions. They have nothing to do with the movie itself. Apparently, the book is based on a 1935 novel by Norman Lippincott, but I can't really find anything about him. This is the only title I see under his name, and that makes me sad. The detective in the film was writing down his adventures, and I could see a whole series based on him and his skills. I may try to do a bit more digging, but this particular movie is getting a Good Movie! review!



No comments:

Post a Comment