What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Lawrence of Arabia - 1962

I've had this one sitting on the shelf for quite a while. It's not that I haven't been wanting to see it, but the 3 hour and 42 minute runtime is a bit intimidating. A few years ago, I tried to read Pillars of Wisdom, Lawrence's book, but I was reading it at a time when it wasn't keeping my interest. Maybe I'll try again in the future.

This is a well-known epic. Lawrence was a British officer who brought Arab tribes together to fight the Turks during WWI. Lawrence becomes one of them but not deep down. He has an ego the size of the trains he's derailing, and he's got the courage to back it up.

I was a bit bored at the beginning. After Lawrence made it to the tribe, it became more enjoyable. The landscapes were beautiful and forbidding. A lot of camels and horses were used during the film, and I didn't see much that made me cringe for their safety.

The characters certainly had time to develop, and they did. I saw there was some controversy on the portrayal of Lawrence's character. As I said, I haven't read the book, so I can't weigh in on the matter, and I'm keeping my mind open. The other characters were likeable, and when I saw some of them die, I was upset. I didn't cry or anything, but there was enough of a connection to care.

I liked this movie, but it doesn't climb to my favorite of all time. I see why it's popular. It's a grand spectacle, the music is amazing, and the acting was good. I would definitely put it on again and feel it deserves a Good Movie! review.



No comments:

Post a Comment