What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, March 31, 2024

Bride of Frankenstein - 1935

Our experiment with the Universal Monsters continues with Bride of Frankenstein. Last we saw, the monster was torched in the mill.

We begin the film at the site of the fire. The overly confident burgomaster declares the scene to be safe and disperses the crowd. It turns out that was a bad idea, since there's a flooded basement under the mill, and the monster is hanging out down there. He kills the parents of the girl from the original film and then heads off.

While he's out learning English with a religious, musical hermit, another doctor is doing his best to recreate Frankenstein's experiment. So far, the doctor has had success on a "smaller" scale. He's made tiny people. Why? I really don't know. Frankenstein is fine somehow after taking that header off the top of the mill, and the new doctor is not above using blackmail to make Frankenstein help him create life.

This movie was bad. I hated it for a number of reasons. There were so many unanswered questions that bother me. On the plus side, I enjoyed Karloff's performance. Again, I'm on the side of the monster, and he gets the short end of the stick again. Also, we were robbed of the bride. By that I mean they spent all that time hyping her up, and we saw her for like three minutes. And Frankenstein was a whiny man. Am I supposed to root for him? Nope. And again, the monster dies.

I'm going to add some of my questions under the poster. There was so much weird stuff, and I would like these more if the monster would get some justice.


How did Dr. Frankenstein live after falling off the top of the mill?

Why did Dr. Pretorius make a bunch of small people? And how did he grow them? He mentioned seeds, but then the movie just moved on. I didn't!

What was the purpose of the small people? And why did he make so many? He made an archbishop, but there's no flock for him. And why make a dancer and put her in a jar?

Why didn't they address the fact that the murders around the village were actually Dr. Pretorius and not the monster?

Why does the bride move her head like a bird?

Is there a reason they couldn't give these two some time to "get to know each other"?

Why do they keep killing the monster?! He's the best part! 
*I had a lot more questions, but these were the ones that irritated me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment