What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

The Snow Creature - 1954

I was scrolling through Tubi looking for something short and mindless to watch. I ended up with this.

A botanist and his photographer are doing research in the Himalayas (strange place to look for plants but whatever) when his guide's wife is abducted by a yeti. The guide wants to find his wife, but the botanist doesn't believe yetis exist and says no. The guide takes their bullets in the night, and the botanist is forced to admit defeat and hunt the yeti. When they eventually find him, they're able to capture him and ship him back to America - on TWA! The yeti breaks loose and creates havoc. Eventually, they track him to the "cool" part of the city - the sewers. A weird hunt ends with the yeti dying.

Ok, so this movie was so weird. First, the yeti. He looked like he was wearing a girdle. I can't really describe it any other way. And when they showed him on screen, most of the time he just stepped into the light and then back into darkness. Wow.

Next thing was the people. For example, the man who was searching for his wife. He found her necklace in the cave, but once the yeti's family was dead, the wife was  forgotten. Another thing was the "immigration process." I wasn't expecting that. A great scientific find is held up at the airport because the yeti doesn't have his papers to enter the country. And then they bring in an anthropologist to determine if he's human. The man then starts arguing about whether or not he's human, and he hasn't even seen the yeti yet.

The yeti is transported in a tiny refrigerated box with a window. He can literally only stand up in there, so that had to be uncomfortable. So, the yeti pulls a tilt and fall on the box, and it immediately pops open. Now he's loose! My immediate thought was to gather up all the women and put them in one spot. The yeti really only killed women. He did murder a native, but other than that, he just injures men. He definitely was after women. The movie never explained why.

And now the botanist. Ugh, that man. He's determined to bring the yeti back alive. Ok, I understand he wants to take the yeti back for "science," but he was just weird. Once the creature is loose, he is still determined for it to be caught alive, but when it dies, he's like "oh well." Also, he talked to his wife more than necessary. He made two phone calls in the time the creature was loose. The lieutenant, whose wife was expecting a baby, was at least focused on the task at hand. He took it serious while the botanist was laughing and smiling on the phone.

I don't know why I'm talking about this movie so much. It was just so weird. The "chase" at the end made me mad. There was no sense of where anyone was, but the most annoying thing was the light. Four men are hunting the yeti, and there's one light. And then, they split up! Two policemen are sent off on their own without a light. When one gets attacked, the other one is told to get him out of the sewer to get him help. Uhh...how?

Anyway, I spent a lot of the movie asking "why?" and noticing the reuse of climbing footage. It felt longer than 70 minutes, and that's pretty hard to do. Especially with an old monster movie. They're usually so bad they're enjoyable. Or a couple of them are actually good. This one goes into a different category. It was unfortunate.



No comments:

Post a Comment