What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Friday, January 12, 2024

The Great Silence - 1968

When I started this movie, it was another of those times when I was scratching my head and asking why it was on my watchlist. After it ended and I did a bit of digging, I think it's because it wasn't released in the U.S. until 2001. I vaguely remember reading an article about a "banned" movie. Maybe this was it. It's originally in Italian, so it was dubbed into English. It was obvious, but that was the least of my worries.

Anyway, this is a depressing western. A mute man, called Silence, is going around the Utah territory and picking fights with bounty killers. Those are men who go around and make murder their job. They are awful, and just like killing people. I don't even think it's about the money.

It all comes to a head in Snow Hill. A man there pays for people to get killed, and he's also responsible for Silence being mute. One particular bounty killer is not playing his game and refuses to draw on him. The bounty killer decides to gather his friends and murder a bunch of bounties and Silence as well. The sheriff tries to intervene, but a well-timed poo on the killer's part dooms the sheriff.

I gave up and started playing a game on my phone about halfway through. I wasn't feeling it. I hated the way the cameraman decided he needed to get sooo close to the gross man who was eating chicken. And the noises he made? Yuck. And I felt more sympathy for the horses than anyone in the film. Well, maybe I felt bad for that mother, but that's it. The end was strange and utterly depressing. All the "good" people are dead, and the bounty killers make plans to divide up the bodies for the money. Wohoo?

Pass. This was definitely not a movie for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment