What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, December 31, 2023

Saving Private Ryan - 1998

This is a movie I've been meaning to watch for quite a while, but I knew it was a long one. I also knew I was going to have to pay attention. That meant I was going to need a good chunk of time where nothing was going on. I finally got that opportunity today.

The only thing I knew going into this movie was that it was about WWII, and it's widely considered one of the best ever. When it started, I was worried the whole thing was going to be gory. I know WWII was horrific, I know D-Day was horrific, but I didn't want to watch over 3 hours of horror. Thankfully, the gore slowed down to a more tolerable level.

Captain Miller is assigned to find a man named James Ryan. He's the last son alive in an Iowa family. To save James, Miller takes a group of soldiers and heads off to find Ryan. Along the way, the men start to question why they're putting their lives on the line for this random man. I mean, they all have mothers, too. Right?

The road is dangerous and leads to a bridge. James isn't willing to just abandon his post, and so Miller and the men are left with a choice. Do they leave the men at the bridge to their fate, or do they do their best to save Ryan?

I'm not going to go into the mission. I thought it was strange to send that many men to retrieve someone when the army doesn't know where he is. Regardless, this isn't meant to be a recreation of a real event, so I'm not going to treat it like one.

I thought this was a good movie, and I enjoyed the acting. This is one of those movies where you definitely don't want to get attached to any of the characters. Just trust me on that one. Overall, I didn't really feel the time, and that's fairly impressive for that long of a movie. For when it was made, I feel like it's better than half the movies that come out today, and it was interesting to see a lot of familiar actors in their younger years. Good Movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment