What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Friday, December 22, 2023

Fanny by Gaslight - 1944

This was another movie with Stewart Granger in it. Also, I saw some familiar faces with Phyllis Calvert and James Mason. The movie is based on a 1940 novel by Michael Sadleir.

Fanny grows up not knowing what her father does for a living. One day, she almost finds out, and so she's sent off to boarding school (there's some questionable ladies in the basement of his establishment). The day she comes home, a rowdy patron causes the death of her father, and the secret is out.

The man isn't held responsible, but Fanny's life is changed forever. She discovers that the man she believed to be her father wasn't, and she has to hide her identity. She meets a man and falls in love, but her past will not leave her alone. The evil man keeps popping up in her life as well and seems to be her curse.

The movie itself was pretty good, but then the end happened. It was so abrupt. Fanny does her epic speech to Harry's sister and then just sits next to Harry. Does he make it? You can just tell people they're going to live. I tried that a while ago, and it doesn't work. BUT...apparently in this universe it must. I'm somewhat curious what the end of the book looked like, and maybe someday I'll be able to find a copy to read. Overall, if I assume Harry's eyes opening was the beginning of his miraculous recovery, I'm comfortable giving this a Good Movie! review.



No comments:

Post a Comment