What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

The Big Bluff - 1955

Valerie has a heart condition. She goes to California to try and rest, but gets romanced by Rick. Little does she know that he has an ulterior motive. He's actually in love with a dancer, Fritzy, and plans to get Valerie's money and live the high life.

Standing in his way is Valerie's friend and companion, Marsha. She isn't sure about Rick and with good reason. Also, Valerie isn't dying of her illness fast enough for Rick. He comes up with his genius plan to kill her, but it backfires on him when he shoots a corpse.

I suppose the movie was okay, but the people in it were insufferable. Valerie was insane to marry a man she barely knew. Rick was a jerk for playing with Valerie's emotions to try and get her money. Fritzy was just irritating for putting up with these men - both her husband and Rick. Marsha and Peter (the doctor) were the most tolerable, but even Marsha would grate on my nerves once in a while with her overbearing whining. She'd do something brave like follow Rick, but then she'd immediately get spotted.

I like the twist at the end, but it's a weird sort of happy ending. All the annoying people are gone, so that was a positive. And as a side note, the poster for the movie is just weird.



No comments:

Post a Comment