What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Cause for Alarm! - 1951

In this film, Ellen goes through the most terrifying day of her life. Her husband is ill, and her nerves are already frayed. He's paranoid and believes Ellen and his friend are conspiring to murder him. He writes a letter to the District Attorney basically framing them by twisting ordinary circumstances.

It all goes south when Ellen's husband dies while trying to murder her. Now she's desperate to get the letter back. Events are working against her, and a sudden visit from her husband's aunt make things more dire.

The movie was okay. I think it had more potential than it used. The story was good, but for some reason, Ellen bothered me. Her narrations and hysterics throughout the movie were disappointing. When her husband dies, she doesn't even think to call the doctor - any doctor. I get she's focused on the letter, but there's a corpse upstairs!

This one ends up in the middle of the road for me. I liked the premise of it, but I'm not sure I enjoyed the execution. I liked the doctor. He was level-headed and deserved better. And since Ellen fell in love with his friend, he was spared the hysterical housewife.



No comments:

Post a Comment