What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, November 20, 2023

Shock - 1946

The second movie for my Vincent Price marathon was Shock. I clearly remember enjoying this one the first time I watched it.

Price plays Dr. Cross, a psychiatrist. He murders his wife in a fit of rage, and then covers it up. Unfortunately for him, a random woman is staying in the room next to his apartment and witnesses the murder. It puts her in a state of shock.

When her husband shows up, Janet is just sitting on a sofa. The man has just gotten back from being a POW. He's been gone for two years, and his wife thought he was dead for so long, he can't understand what's happened to her. Since Dr. Cross is a psychiatrist, he ends up in charge of the woman that can threaten his freedom.

What follows is disgusting. Dr. Cross and his nurse "treat" Janet so she's basically in a constant state of sedation. On top of that, they try to convince her she's insane. I guess there were some members of the psychiatric field who weren't fond of the movie when it came out. Since this came out in 1946, they were worried people would be afraid to seek help. Understandable.

I still liked this movie on rewatch. I also still hated the doctor and nurse's characters. I mean, Vincent Price did try to do the right thing a few times, but then he became spineless. The nurse helped with that, but he's still ultimately responsible for his own actions. Anyway, I enjoyed this movie, and I still felt the tension waiting to see if Janet would be saved. Good Movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment